[Ltsp-discuss] Client boot error: PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout
John Hupp
2012-08-08 21:50:33 UTC
I just built another Lubuntu 12.04 LTSP server on different hardware for
testing.

The current terminal I'm testing with generates this boot error and then
stops:

PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout

This terminal boots fine on the first LTSP server I set up, which had
more modest hardware.

How do I address this?
Lachele Foley (Lists)
2012-08-08 22:03:31 UTC
Quick test: make sure the tftp daemon is running.

:~$ sudo service tftpd-hpa status
tftpd-hpa start/running, process 2866

If not, try starting it (change "status" to "start"). Sometimes with
Ubuntu, I've found that services don't start the way I expect every
time I boot.

Since it got as far as it did, dhcp seems to be working. You just
have to get tftp to push out an image.

:-) Lachele
Post by John Hupp
I just built another Lubuntu 12.04 LTSP server on different hardware for
testing.
The current terminal I'm testing with generates this boot error and then
PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout
This terminal boots fine on the first LTSP server I set up, which had more
modest hardware.
How do I address this?
For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net
--
:-) Lachele
Lachele Foley
Athens, GA USA
John Hupp

Lachele Foley (Lists)
2012-08-08 22:58:04 UTC
I don't have a ready list of things to check. Maybe someone else
does. But, at least you know what the problem is. If you have a
firewall on, check those settings. After that, start doing web
searches, unless someone else posts a good answer. That's what I do.
It's either (a) there is no image, (b) tftpd isn't offering the image
(c) the computer isn't allowing it to go out (d) some other computer
is getting in the way, (e) etc... Could there be another machine on
the network trying to give it an image and confusing things?

Once, I had a similar problem because my server was really busy doing
a few fsck operations on ether drives (hard drives over the ethernet).
The extra network traffic and local I/O activity made the server slow
to respond, and it didn't get the image out in time. After the fsck's
were done, boot happened normally.
Athens, GA USA
Michael Pope
2012-08-08 23:03:51 UTC
John Hupp
2012-08-09 19:59:45 UTC
Thanks for that, Michael.

Actually, further testing on this setup shows that it's not just TFTP
that sometimes fails. I just had a boot attempt where DHCP didn't work,
so it never got as far as TFTP.

Perhaps more experience will teach whether these problems are mostly
confined to limited circumstances or more widespread and common. A
search on the problem did not turn up a great many cases, so perhaps the
problem is rare.
Post by Michael Pope
On Ubuntu 12.04 I found that I had to restart the tftp service even
Create a file /etc/init.d/tftpd-hpa2 with
#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
service tftpd-hpa restart
$ sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/tftpd-hpa2
$ sudo update-rc.d tftpd-hpa2 defaults
It's a crude hack I know but it's a work around for now.
from
Michael
Michael Pope
2012-08-09 23:06:08 UTC
John,

I had a problem with the DHCP not starting up when using Network Manager
to set my static IP. Usually people use the /etc/network/interfaces file
to get around this but I wanted to use Network Manager so I had access
to VPN connections and such.

I found if I put my DHCP & tftp startup scripts into
/etc/network/if-up.d then they start when my network is connected
through Network Manager.

Here is my script:

/etc/network/if-up.d/dhcp3-server
#! /bin/sh
# Kick DHCP server when interface comes up (for Ubuntu, probably Debian too)
# Workaround for
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dhcp3/+bug/392826>
# Bugs:
# - Only works when interfaces for dhcpd are explicitly listed.

DHCP_IF=/etc/default/isc-dhcp-server
DHCP_INIT=/etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server

[ -f "$DHCP_IF" -a -f "$DHCP_INIT" ] || exit 0

. "$DHCP_IF"

if [ "x$INTERFACES" = x ]; then
# Don't know which interfaces it manages, always restart
restart_dhcp=1
else
restart_dhcp=0
for iface in "$INTERFACES"; do
if [ "$iface" = "$IFACE" ]; then
restart_dhcp=1
fi
done
fi

if [ "$restart_dhcp" = "1" ]; then
"$DHCP_INIT" restart
sleep 10
/etc/init.d/tftp-hpa restart
fi

Make executable. Now test by disconnecting & re-connecting.

from
Michael